5 Common Emergency Plumbing Situations & What You Should Do
Ever had to call your Maple Grove plumber over pronto due to an emergency? Clogged drains, damaged pipes, and gas leaks are the most common residential emergency plumbing situations. The sad part is that most of these emergencies could be prevented if the system is properly cared for.
1. Pipes that Burst: Until your Maple Grove plumber arrives, you should focus on stopping water from flowing out of the hole. Locate the main shutoff valve to your house and close it. Turning off the shutoff valve will close the water supply to the fixtures and therefore stop the flood.
2. Frozen Pipes: When water in pipes freeze they expand and may even burst the pipe. Again, close the main shutoff valve. If the pipe has not split yet, thaw it with hot water bottles from the end of the pipe nearest to the tap.
3. Leaky Plumbing Fixtures: Close the shutoff valve singular to the leaky fixture. Check the fixture’s trap for debris, hair, soap scum, and food particles that might obstruct its opening and cause overflowing of the fixture.
4. Blocked Drains & Toilets: If a plunger will not do the job, it will need the power of a plumber’s snake. – You can get these at your local home improvement store, but be warned…the job might become horrifying quickly. Consider calling a professional Maple Grove Plumber
5. Gas leaks: When smelling gas, you should simply evacuate your home. Since gas leaks can be due to various reasons, you should contact your Maple Grove plumber and the gas company right away (but not from your home phone…you need to get out now. Don’t even turn off lights. Just leave.) . NEVER try to do anything yourself when it comes to gas leaks – just get out of the way and leave it to the experts.
To avoid any of these emergencies, simply keep checking your plumbing system and properly maintain it for ultimate efficiency. If you want us to come out and check up your system, just contact us…we’re professional Maple Grove Plumbers.